All the organizations around the world are waking up to the fact that safety and security of all concerned are one of the most important factors in their firm. The statistics collected year after year show how work place safety and security are of utmost importance. This applied to several industries with a varying rate of importance. However this applies specially to the construction industry where the numbers of hazards are generally larger and hence the risk is greater.
The statistics clearly show how in the year 2012 there were over 4500 fatal incidents at workplaces. A recent incident that occurred in Turkey was the reason why 250 miners from all across the globe lost their lives. This occurred in May 2014 and the preliminary investigation found it was negligence.
Operating a wire rope hoist
Operating a wire rope hoists is not rocket science and may not necessarily require a wire rope specialist to do the job. However there are some factors that should always be considered prior to operating a wire rope hoists. Here are a few important tips:
- It is important to make sure that the working area is perfectly safe and that there are no other people (non-working people) in the work space.
- It is advisable to read the manual of the instrument if new to it even though it is only a quick scan.
- A general check-up of the hoist is required prior to actually starting to use it to make it fine.
Wire Rope Hoist Safety
The wire rope safety cannot be stressed enough and is of utmost importance. In general a check should be done prior to every use to make sure all aspects of the wire rope hoists are safe. Here are a few tips:
- Make sure it is being handled correctly and safely.
- Be aware of all the hazards associated with the device and emergency procedures that concern them.
- Be aware of the correct method of operating the hoists at all times.
- Protective clothing should always be worn while using the hoists.
Maintenance of Wire Rope Hoists
- The best way to transport the reels is to do so by rolling on a flat surface. Alternatively it can also be lifted from a pipe in the reel center hole.
- The wire rope hoists should ideally be protected from sunlight, rain or bad weather in general.
Even though operating a Wire Rope Hoist is not very hard there are few important points to keep in mind when doing so. Always make sure the wire rope hoist is functioning fine and is in perfect working condition prior to using it. While using the hoist for heavy load, always make sure you have the right kind of hoist for the job. This goes a long way in avoiding incidents.