A Wire Rope Hoist is essentially a flexible rope that is composed of several steel wires (or fiber). These are grouped together and twisted around the center to form strands. Few of these strands are twisted together around the core and it helps form a rope. In fact not every wire rope hoists has the same specification. A sample specification is like 6 x 37 or 6 x 19. This is described like number of strands x number of wires per strand.
Significance of wire rope inspection:
A wire ropes hoist is a consumable item and does suffer wear and tear after being used over a period. Hence the more the wire rope hoists is used the more it changes and less efficient it becomes. However it can be used for a substantial amount of time prior to having to replace it.
Here are few important issues pertaining to wire rope usage that you should be aware off:
- A new wire rope hoists will have individual wires and strands that settle into position. This means that the rope strength is high.
- Over a period of time as the wire rope is used it is common for strands to break or be damaged due to wear and tear. This decreases the rope strength.
- Regular wire rope testing can help detect the deterioration of the wire.
- It is important to monitor the deterioration of the wire since all it takes is one link in the chain to week and the entire load can come crashing down.
Inspecting Wire Rope Hoists Visually
Wire rope hoists are a crucial part of crane functioning. Keeping the wires intact is a vital task because any damage can be dangerous while operating the machine. The EOT crane manufacturers in Ahmedabad, suggest some visual inspection tips:
- First of all, clean any dust off the wire so that all the wire cuts are clearly visible.
- Concentrate on every part of the wire and check if there are any viable cuts on it.
- Use the rag method to inspect the wire. The method is quite simple, but must be followed by visual inspection as well. Take a soft cloth and move it over the site just the way we clean it. You will see that the fabric will be stuck in broken wires and that’s how you find damage in your wire rope hoist.
- Measure the diameter of the rope to find precise internal damage. Take measurement of both original or unused wire and the wire to be inspected. Compare both, and if there is any difference, some external or internal damage exists.
- To check abrasions and corrosions inside the wire, use a spike and move it between two strands to open up the wire. You will be able to see what’s the issue inside the cord.
Important wire rope maintenance tips
- The wire rope hoist should be inspected at the start of each shift or work session and as frequently as possible.
- The inspection includes checking the entire length of the rope as well as the point of attachment to the load.
- The wire rope hoist must be removed if there are any broken wires noticed
- Over a period of time, it is likely that the diameter of the rope is reduced. This is possible depending on what the wire rope hoist is being used for. In this case, too you must cease to use the Electric wire rope hoist.
- Other factors to look out for are rope deformation, loose loops, and even corrosion.
- Once discarded the rope should be examined thoroughly to check the cause of wear and tear.
The wires can break down or damaged due to coming in contact with hoist drums and sheaves. While the damage occurs inside only, a broken wire can lead to serious mishappening if not diagnosed on time. So, be careful and inspect your wore over regular intervals of time to make sure you are not using a ready to break cord.
When to replace a wire
After inspecting the cord, the next step is replacing it with a new one if there is some severe damage. Here is when you should replace the wire.
- Excessive tearing or broken strands.
- If there are 12 or more broken wires in a single round of rope, you must change it.
- Four or more broken wires in one lay of strand make the wire unfit for change.
- The wire broke from the outer surface at the contact point with the core must be replaced as soon as possible.
- Tight and open kinks are also dangerous.
- When you compare diameter and find some difference, check it with the allowed reduction list. If the difference goes beyond the limit, the site needs to be changed.
- A corroded wire can create some serious issues if not replaced.
Krishna Crane Engineers always get it right
Being the leading manufacturer of a wide range of crane and hoist equipment, Krishna Crane Engineers always ensure that they deliver a good quality product. They have wide range of wire rope selection to choose from; but that is not all. They have trained professionals to install the equipment and even provide quick tips on usage and maintenance to make sure you are not left stranded. Our clients include local ones as well as international ones; hence we maintain a high common standard and always deliver what we promise. We have the skills and ability to cater to several kinds of industries thus making sure our product is both useful and practical.