Undoubtedly, the invention of EOT cranes has taken the manufacturing and various other heavy-duty industries by storm. Most of the industries are using overhead cranes to transfer heavyweight materials from one place to another. Purchasing an EOT crane is a one-time investment and when you are purchasing your overhead crane from a recognised crane manufacturer in Ahmedabad, there is nothing to worry about. However, to ensure that your EOT cranes are working under all the safety guidelines so that you know all your workers are safe on the business premises.
Here are some of the safety standards one needs to maintain:
Work on or near machinery in motion
Irrespective of the kind of work you are taking from an overhead crane, it is mandatory that you check every part before start using it. This kind of examination is supposed to be carried out by a specially trained and qualified adult worker wearing tight fitted clothing. No woman or a child is allowed to touch any part of the machinery as it can pose health hazards to them.
Lifting machines, ropes, chains, and lifting tackles The entire working gear, whether movable or fixed, every chain or rope or the lifting tackle should be:
- Thoroughly examined and it should be checked once in every 12 months by a chief inspector and he should specify in writing that the machine is safe to be used.
- It should be maintained properly
- It should be constructed properly with sound material and free from any defects.
Engineering control Overhead crane operation
- The safety switches in the form of pushbuttons should be provided in all the corners of the machine so that they are easily accessible. In addition to these, one safety switch must be available in the cabin as well.
- The safe workload and the identification number should be printed in bold and big letters on the crane itself. The aim is to make the number clearly visible to everyone.
- A portable CO2 fire extinguisher should be kept in the crane operators cabin.
- There should be sufficient light so that the operator can see everything clearly while operating the crane.
- There should be an audible warning device present in the operator’s cabin so that he can announce the people working below the crane to stay cautious and vigilant of the crane’s activities.
- There should be a minimum of two plug points of voltages 220AC and 24 Volts AC to be fixed near the crane girder to facilitate the maintenance work.
All the safety measures are to be taken very seriously and while getting the crane from your crane manufacturer in Ahmedabad, you should read the care manual very well and ask your manufacturer in case, you have doubts in anything. You can reach out to Hoist and Crane for further information about how to maintain and safeguard your EOT crane so that it lasts you longer.